2.0.0-pre : Failed to open socket.

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Jun 21 09:18:28 CEST 2007

>> As I said earlier , but will say again for clarity.
>>
>> It *is* a bug in pre1, Alan was trying something out that broke binding
>> in some BSD based operating systems and looks like Solaris too ...
>>

> Following a little bit of detective work with gdb, I realised that the
> problem is with the udpfromto code in -pre1, at least on FreeBSD.
> Passing --without-udpfromto to configure on FreeBSD means 2.0.0-pre1
> works on FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE. Supposedly udpfromto works on BSD like
> operating systems, but I've never got it to work on FreeBSD, even in
> 1.1.x.

Thats the one !

>> The code has been taken out in the CVS head... if you want to use the
>> new features of 2** (of which there are many) use the CVS head not pre1.
>>

> Has the faulty code really been taken out or fixed, or is the resolution
> of this situation a side-effect of udpfromto being disabled in HEAD at
> the moment?

Taken out as far as I know, but you'd have to ask Alan for that one.

> Is there any hope of a 2.0.0-pre2 release any time soon? I realise that
> version 2 is still under active development,
Very active, though I did hear a mention of pre2 coming out soonish :)
Currently trying to help fix/diagnose a very weird bug that breaks FR on
64 bit PPC based OSX boxes ...

Ah do you run a 64bit BSD machine ? If so would really appreciate
feedback on whether FR can do EAP without bombing out (though the issue
isn't actually with the EAP module) ...
>  that HEAD has just gone
> through a period of being uninstallable for a while so it may be wise to
> let things settle a while longer
Really ? It's been building fine for me ? What error do you get ?