IP Pool management and Re-authentication

Jan Mulders lastchancehotel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 17:53:23 CET 2007

I've been using OpenVPN + Ralf's Radiusplugin for several months and
recently moved away from server-side IP assignment. However, while I did use
it, I found that in my configuration FreeRADIUS only assigned new IPs when
the accounting for that user had stopped (ie, if it recieved a STOP packet).
This meant, that once I'd crashed the openvpn server 3 times with users on
it :-) there were many IP's who were 'lost' - their sessions had never
ended, hence the IP was never returned to the pool.

I was doing renegotiation every 20 minutes if I remember correctly, and the
freeradius replied with the same IP for the user time and time again. Hence,
I'm beginning to wonder if it's configuration-specific, because I didn't
have any problems.

Hope this helps,

Jan