operators clarification

Andrew Long along at escapewire.com
Fri May 4 22:54:23 CEST 2007

I have looked at the wiki and read the docs... never-the-less...
I inherited a 0.9 freeradius/mysql/chap setup which I have updated to 1.4.
Currently I am sending radreply like

| 358 | indigoAmh-AP05   | Colubris-AVPair | += | mac-address=00-0D-BD-0F-90-83,indigoAmh-AP05,ap_connect
| 359 | indigoAmh-AP06   | Colubris-AVPair | += | mac-address=00-0D-BD-59-57-EB,indigoAmh-AP06,ap_connect
| 360 | indigoAmh-AP07   | Colubris-AVPair | += | mac-address=00-0D-BD-0F-91-89,indigoAmh-AP07,ap_connect

Now this works, but I have read that the op ':=' would be more correct and this is what Colubris suggests in their
examples. What I don't understand is.. my reading of the wiki leads me to believe that := would replace
existing attributes of the same name (Colubris-AVPair) with the current one, rather than appending them, as we want.
Can someone explain where my reading of the docs is wrong.

---QUOTE
 ':='   Always matches as a check item, and replaces in the configuration items any attribute of the same name.
If no attribute of that name appears in the request, then this attribute is added.

    As a reply item, it has an identical meaning, but for the reply items, instead of the request items.
---END QUOTE

Regards,

Andrew Long