Center for Internet Security - Call for Participation for FreeRADIUS Benchmark

Dave Shackleford dshackleford at cisecurity.org
Thu May 10 20:31:23 CEST 2007

***Thanks to moderators for allowing this post - it's for a good
cause!***

Hi folks, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Dave Shackleford, and
I represent the Center for Internet Security. Some of you may know of
us, and some of you may not.

CIS is a non-profit that coordinates teams of volunteers who collaborate
to create benchmark guides for securing systems. Many of you may have
used some of the CIS tools to score your systems against the benchmarks
at one time or another, and thousands of people download the benchmarks
and scoring tools every month. We are actively seeking IT and security
professionals to participate in the benchmark development process. We
are also looking for anyone experienced in Java and/or XML programming
to assist with our newest scoring tool development (contact me
off-list).

We are about to begin the consensus process for a FreeRADIUS security
benchmark. Time commitments are minimal, all you need to do is go and
sign up on the mailing list and provide some input to the group on the
benchmark draft when it's released. We always have a team leader who
puts together the initial draft, pulling from a variety of sources; this
is then sent to the mailing list for review and comment. After a
consensus is reached, we publish it. We also list participants' names on
our "Honor Roll" page at http://www.cisecurity.org/honor_roll.html.

Our benchmarks are gaining a lot of attention right now. We are
mentioned specifically in the PCI DSS (section 2.2), we are working with
NIST to develop tools and content, and a lot more. If you would like to
participate, please visit the site and sign up. We won't send you any
unsolicited email, just the list postings for benchmark development.
Also, please feel free to sign up for anything not mentioned below, we
will be working on all of the benchmarks over the course of the next
year or so. There are also lots of opportunities to earn CPE credits for
participation.

If you have any questions, please reply to me off-list (dshackleford at
cisecurity dot org). Thanks for your help! -Dave

1. FreeRADIUS Benchmark (OpenLDAP will also be discussed here)

MAILING LIST:

Also the Virtualization Benchmark (may interest some)

MAILING LIST:

Note: This list will benefit from varied backgrounds and skill sets.