FreeRADIUS authfile equivalent

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon May 14 22:50:38 CEST 2007

Steve Forman wrote:
>	I'm attempting to migrate a RADIUS service from Interlink RADIUS
> to FreeRADIUS

  Good choice.  Interlink went bankrupt a few years ago.  The current
version of the company is selling the old product, and not doing much else.

> and am running into a bit of a problem I was hoping you
> could help out with.  Basically, I have several different domains which
> would all be separated by an @ sign plus the name of the domain.  What
> I'd like to do is use separate local "users" files for each of these
> domains. Each "users.domain.com" file would then contain the username and
> password for every user in that domain such that  if
> joesmith at domain1.com logs in, he will be authenticated with the
> "joesmith" password contained in "users.domain1.com".

  To be honest, if all you need is username/password authentication, I
would suggest using a real database.  It's ever so much easier than
poking at text files.

>  However, there is
> no authfile in FreeRADIUS so the question is:
> How do I accomplish this same task with FreeRADIUS?  Any information
> would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

  It can be done, but it's a lot more complicated.

  You can get equivalent functionality by having the main "users" file
do "$INCLUDE" of sub-files for each domain.  The domain-specific "users"
file would then list:

user at foo.domain	Cleartext-Password := "password"

  i.e. Don't strip off the domain, and everything should Just Work.  If
it doesn't, try:

user	Realm == "foo.domain", Cleartext-Password := "password"

  One of the two will work, depending on your local configuration.  It's
a little more complicated than what you have now, but it's similar
enough to be not a large leap.