DDNS problem

Dennis Skinner dskinner at bluefrog.com
Wed May 30 00:28:29 CEST 2007

Mati Katz wrote:
> hello
> i'm using the 1.1.5 version of freeradius.
> i have problem i setup a client in clients.conf that is a host name
> like fkatz.dyndns.org because my NAS has dynamic ip. When i try to
> login at first time (i use DD-WRT + chillispot built-in) i succeeded
> but after i receive new dynamic ip from my ISP the radius reject it
> because he doesn't know the new ip.
> The radius server works fine with IP static i tested.
> Also i checked lookup and ping to the fkatz.dyndns.org after the
> dynamic ip has changed and very fast it refreshs.

The simple answer is don't use dynamic hosts.

FreeRADIUS reads the clients file once at startup, resolves the IP's and
then stores those.  It won't know about the new IP until the daemon is
restarted (or in theory HUP'ed when that is fixed).

If you must use dynamic hosts, then you will need to specify an IP range
like this:

client 192.168.0.0/24 {
       secret          = testing123-1
       shortname       = private-network-1
}

That would allow a NAS to have any of 254 different IP's and still be
able to talk to FreeRADIUS.  It would also allow anyone else on those
IP's who wants to talk to you NAS and can figure out the secret to
potentially do naughty things.

--
Dennis Skinner
Systems Administrator