Radiusd -X start vs Radiusd start

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Nov 2 22:00:03 CET 2007

Hi,

> Hi evr,
>
> I'm currently experimenting on freeradius 1.1.6 (on rhl3)  my setup seams to be working fine except a little bug !
>
> I'm using a software to monitor freeradius from the outside this soft is called (Whistle Blower running on a mac)
>
> This soft attempt to validate a user called Whistle Blower and freeradius must send a deny packet !
>
> When I : radiusd -X start the process work fine
>
> When I : radiusd start the process times out ???

permissions. when run with '-X' the server runs with high priv. when run without
-X, then the server runs as whoever you configured in radiusd.conf (usually 'radiusd')
thus it may not be able to write to log files or read config files etc. check the
permissions and ownership of eg log files, config files and the process PID file.

radius -x

(small x) will run in small debug mode and can highlight this issue

alan