Server instability

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Oct 30 15:02:11 CET 2007

Nicolai Tejlgaard Hansen wrote:
> I'm having the exact same problem as described below, with Freeradius

> 1.7 hanging at 99 percent. Also using PEAP, MSCHAPV2, and eDir, and
> running 1.7 on a SLES 10 SP1.
> I have been using the same configuration since 1.3 without any problems
> problems, but since upgrading from 1.6 to 1.7 it's "crashed" 3 times
> within a month.

  As noted, it's 1.1.x, not 1.x.  But in any case, crashes are bad.

  It's difficult to know what changed from 1.1.3 to 1.1.7 that causes
the problem.  My suggestion, if you're willing to experience, is to
build a version of 1.1.7 with the rlm_ldap module from 1.1.3.

  i.e.

$ rm freeradius-1.1.7/src/modules/rlm_ldap/*
$ cp freeradius-1.1.3/src/modules/rlm_ldap/*
freeradius-1.1.7/src/modules/rlm_ldap
$ cd freeradius-1.1.7
$ ./configure ...
$ make

  Some things in rlm_ldap changed between the two versions.  This test
will let us know if the issue is in rlm_ldap, or elsewhere.

  If it still crashes, tell us.  If it doesn't crash any more, please
tell us, too!

> As per Phil Mayers request, I recompiled with the developer option (and
> --edir as I am using that). The following is the output:

  That doesn't give anything overly suspicious.  Oh well...

  I think I'll have to get a Mac with Leopard, and start using DTrace to
debug these kinds of problems.