The LDAP Thing again...

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Sep 9 11:17:02 CEST 2007

Kent Thomas wrote:
> I'm new to FreeRadius, and have struggled for a couple of days now on how to
> get LDAP authentication to work.

  LDAP is a database, NOT an authentication server.

>  It would appear that the LDAP is actually
> authenticating, but then something goes wrong following that.  I'm sure it
> is just something set wrong in the users file, but I do need some help.
> Forgive me if this has already been covered.
> Sat Sep  8 23:33:22 2007 : Debug: rlm_ldap: - authorize
> Sat Sep  8 23:33:22 2007 : Debug: rlm_ldap: performing user authorization
> for kent

  Authorization is NOT authentication.

> Sat Sep  8 23:33:22 2007 : Debug: rlm_ldap: looking for check items in
> directory...
> Sat Sep  8 23:33:22 2007 : Debug: rlm_ldap: looking for reply items in
> directory...

  You do NOT have a "known good" password configured for the user.

> Sat Sep  8 23:33:22 2007 : Debug:   rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type
> System
> Sat Sep  8 23:33:22 2007 : Debug: auth: type "System"
> Sat Sep  8 23:33:22 2007 : Debug:   ERROR: Unknown value specified for
> Auth-Type.  Cannot perform requested action.

  PLEASE don't include the configuration files in your email.  They're
not necessary.  There's a REASON the FAQ, etc. say to post the debug
log, and DOES NOT say to post all of the configuration files.