RPM Build Errors

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sun Apr 6 17:44:43 CEST 2008

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 04:29:36PM +0100, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:

> its just shameful that no distros feel like updating their
> default version from 1.1.dinosaur to 2.0.recent

IIRC, you were talking about CentOS (== RHEL rebuild).  One of the
fundamental issues with enterprise-grade (and long-term-supported)
Linux distros is that they want to stay as compatible as possible
during its life-time.  If possible, they backport security fixes, etc.
Although sometimes I would also like to have a newer version of
something, this *does* pay back in overall stability and API/ABI
compatibility throughout the OS's life time.

Otherwise you should use Fedora (the fast-moving alternative for
RHEL/CentOS).  And if you really do need newer packages on CentOS,
take the latest Fedora source RPM and rebuild it on RHEL/CentOS.
That is usually "integrated" in the OS environment in the same way
as RHEL/CentOS (but always be careful and inspect the spec file
carefully for new things).

For the same reason, I'm still using a (very) old FreeRADIUS on my
RHEL4-compatible systems, although I've been flamed for doing that
on this list earlier ;-).

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>