rlm_perl , unlang and Exec-Wait with Perl

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Apr 18 10:33:08 CEST 2008

Hi,

> If things are done mainly using SQL,  for eg. IP address management,
> then unlang  seems to be doing more or less the same work(easily) a
> sophisticated Perl script could do.
>
> However my question is about performance and about how fast & scalable
> this kind of a setup compared to a Perl based system.
>
> Any ideas please?

I could envisage most people being able to port their exec and PERL
into the unlang framework.  we havent, so can't give you a direct answer.
however, you COULD do the following

run up a test radiusd server. use the doc/performance-testing document
as a guide to help with the following

1) create a simply PERL that does a DB lookup and return attribute thing
with the list if users

2) create an unlang config that does the same

3) benchmark them

in our PERL we do more than just 'SELECT' - we open a log file,
a debug log file etc and dump stuff into there, we also use other
values from the database to do authorization checks and return
values. depending on the call and request, the return value
changes etc.

alan