dot1x specification EAPOL-Logoff clarification

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Apr 30 13:50:36 CEST 2008

Artur Hecker wrote:
> Imo, there are no dependencies between DHCP and dot1X.

  That can be fixed.  EAP methods can be leveraged to push keys to the
client, which can sign the DHCP packet (RFC 3118).  This also lets the
client know it's talking to the correct DHCP server.

> My personal perception is completely inverse to yours: I think that
> 802.1X is more used in wireless (WiFi) than in wired LANs. But maybe you
> have some statistics on that? That would be interesting to know :-)

  A lot of people are starting to look into 802.1X for wired LANs.  It
can help satisfy regulatory issues in some countries...