EAP-TNC supported?

Ingo Bente ingo.bente at fh-hannover.de
Thu Aug 21 13:49:06 CEST 2008

 > Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:36:07 +0200
> From: "Martin Schneider" <martincschneider at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: EAP-TNC supported?
> 	<freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org>
>
> Hi
>
> 2008/8/20 Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>:
>> Martin Schneider wrote:
>>> - I read in wikipedia, that the spring 2008 release of FreeRadius has
>>> "experimental EAP-TNC" support. I couldn't find any information on the
>>> FreeRadius homepage or wiki, that this information is correct. Has FreeRadius
>>> EAP-TNC support? And "how experimental" is the EAP-TNC support?
>>  It's very experimental.  Some people have gotten it to work, but I
>> don't think it's ready for production use.
>
> What a pity!
>
> Does anybody know about a patch or something for FreeRadius that adds
> more stable EAP-TNC processing? I heard about a patch from FH Hannover
> (http://tnc.inform.fh-hannover.de/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) but I
> don't know how good this one works. Did maybe anybody of you guys play
> with that patch?
Yes, it is very experimental. We have done some refactoring the last
weeks but the new version of the EAP-TNC-Patch is currently not in the
FreeRADIUS sources. You can download it from
http://tnc.inform.fh-hannover.de. We will modify some further aspects
soon (such as removing the dynamic loading of NAA-TNCS.so at runtime).

>>> - In case FreeRadius supports EAP-TNC, is it possible to run EAP-TNC
>>> "inside" a EAP-TTLS tunnel? EAP-TTLS as outer method and EAP-TNC as
>>> inner method?
>>  No.  EAP-TNC is designed to be run as an authorization method *after*
>> the user has been authenticated.  It *cannot* be run all by itself
>> inside of a TTLS tunnel.
>>
>>  You can run it inside of the TTLS tunnel after another EAP method has
>> been executed.  You may have to edit the source code to get this to work.

You can do EAP-TNC inside EAP-TTLS without modifying the source. I
tested it with the latest development version of wpa_supplicant. But you
will have to modify the source if you want to to EAP-TNC inside EAP-TTLS
_after_ another EAP-method (such as MD5).

> Ok, thanks for clarifying this point! I really mixed this one up.
>
> I read in the EAP-TTLS draft, that you can perform mutual
> authentication of server AND client using EAP-TTLS. (Client also needs
> a Certificate...). So theoretically you should be able to run EAP-TNC
> directly after EAP-TTLS in the TLS tunnel without any other user
> authenticating EAP-method?

Yes.

Regards

Ingo