Programatically provision users to server.

tnt at kalik.net tnt at kalik.net
Wed Dec 10 11:38:17 CET 2008

>Yes I do plan on using a RoR application to make the changes to the MySQL
>database.
>So I think this is coming together. However, the username and password...
>where is the user responsible for using those credentials.
>
>Would a user connect to my WiFi network, then authenticate against the
>RADIUS server using credentials obtained through a Ruby on Rails
>application?
>
>Here's the workflow I am thinking to build this:
>
>1. User connects to WiFi network.
>2. User is directed to a Ruby on Rails application.
>3. Application authorizes user to connect, creates credentials
>and propagates them to FreeRadius.
>4. Application gives credentials to user.
>5. User enters credentials (where?)

Oh, you are thinking of building a captive portal, not just something
that will adminster users.

>I need hotspot functionality so I am almost there in terms of everything I
>need to build. Are these points rational?

Probably not. How long do you think on spending on this? Months? Years?

>Also, where are the credentials
>entered in #5?

If you are seriously thinking of making a captive portal (and not using
ready made one) - you will have to make user interface too.

>Wouldn't I just need to deliver an IP or something to that
>machine at that point?

Oh no. There is so much more to it than that.

Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP