rlm_perl build on mac osx

Info info at sparkmediagroup.com
Fri Jan 18 18:39:44 CET 2008

Greetings,

Quick disclaimer: Though I've been working on my unix chops for the
last year (intermittently), I still consider myself a bit of a
newbie, so I apologize for any questions that might have obvious
answers. That said:

I'm working on a port of FR 2.0 for macports.org and had a couple
questions about what appears to be the main stumbling block when
building it on the mac (both ppc and intel, in this case under osx
10.4.11). The problem, as those familiar with installing this on the
mac, has to do with linking to the apple build of perl under /System/
Library... Bug #471 shows this, and an example of my initial attempts
showed much the same:

(cd .libs && rm -f rlm_perl.so && ln -s rlm_perl-2.0.0.so rlm_perl.so)
ar cru .libs/rlm_perl.a /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-
multi-2level/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a  rlm_perl.o /System/Library/
Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a
ranlib: archive member: .libs/rlm_perl.a(DynaLoader.a) fat file for
cputype (7) cpusubtype (3) is not an object file (bad magic number)
ar: internal ranlib command failed
gmake[6]: *** [rlm_perl.la] Error 1

Mind you, I've found a way to get past this by simply installing my
own build of perl (5.8.8). Regardless, I have these questions:

1] Is it at all possible for rlm_perl to build against apple's
install of perl?
2] Is perl only a build dependency for rlm_perl, or does the module
make runtime calls to external perl libs?
3] I've discovered with an install of perl 5.10 that, during
configure (of freeradius 2), the linker chooses the /System/Library/
5.8.6... over the new perl ( at {prefix}/lib/perl/5.10.0 ). The only
thing I can guess is that when searching for perl libs/includes, the
linker only expands to seek version n.n.n and does not recognize a
two digit subversion n.nn.n. If that's what's happening, is that
patchable?

Cheers,

Jim

James H. Graham II, Creative Director • Spark Media Group
6511 Allegheny Avenue • Takoma Park, MD 20912-4737
Tel: 301.270.4810 • Fax: 301.270.4812 • www.sparkmediagroup.com