Blank spaces after username - problem with accounting - MySql database.

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jan 22 09:23:20 CET 2008

Marinko Tarlac wrote:
> Hi there... It is me again... Few days ago, I wrote about my problem
> with accounting. Problem is that accounting doesn't work for some users.
> In this case it is "test.user"... After some investigation with log
> files (holly radiusd -X), I can see that problem is in username. As you
> can see (line marked with *-*-*-*-*-*-*), some blank spaces were added
> to username. I'm not sure how is this possible and who adds this blank
> spaces (Mikrotik as nas or radius server?).

  Neither.  The user is adding the spaces.  It looks to me like someone
figured out that you have test accounts.  They are using the test
accounts to log in without paying.

> p.s. As I can see in debug lines, raddacct table has been filled with
> wrong username so I searched for username "test.user  " and I can see
> his traffic. I can solve this problem with small scheduler script who
> will replace "test.user  " with "test.user" but who knows... Maybe
> tomorrow I will have more spaces and other signs in username ???

  You need to to audit your configuration to ensure that you are using
the user name *correctly*.

  e.g. this is wrong: SELECT ... %{User-Name} ...

  this is correct:    SELECT ... '%{User-Name}' ...

> One is sure. MySql seems fine and only solution I can do now is to make
> querry "UPDATE radacct SET UserName='test.user' WHERE
> UserName='test.user  '";

  Do not do that.

> FR is 1.1.4 and I will update it and see what's going on...

  The default queries and configuration should not have this problem.