Building FreeRadius 2.0 on Mac OS X fails

Walter Krivanek, VividVisions walter.krivanek at vividvisions.com
Tue Jan 22 11:03:45 CET 2008

Hi Alan, Jim and Arran,

thank you very much for your help, I finally did it.

First, I had to discard rlm_perl. I haven't tried Jim's tip to install
my own version of Perl.

Then, I added the parameters --with-mysql-lib-dir and --with-mysql-
include-dir to the configure command.
Configure seems to expect the MySQL binaries to be in the PATH
environment variable, which complicated things for me since I have
three different versions of MySQL on my development machine. Another
parameter like --with-mysql-bin-dir would be great. After a few
changes this problem was solved.

Then I configured FreeRadius, started it and got this error message:
rlm_sql (freewave): Could not link driver rlm_sql_mysql: dlopen(/usr/
local/freeradius2/lib/rlm_sql_mysql-2.0.0.so, 9): Library not loaded: /
usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient_r.15.dylib   Referenced
from: /usr/local/freeradius2/lib/rlm_sql_mysql-2.0.0.so   Reason:
image not found
rlm_sql (freewave): Make sure it (and all its dependent libraries!)
are in the search path of your system's ld.

The reason was that FreeRadius expected the dylib file in /usr/local/
mysql/lib/mysql/ but it actually is located in /usr/local/mysql/lib/.
So I simply created the directory mysql and copied the files there. A
rather ugly hack but it helped. IMHO this path should also be
configurable.

Alan wrote:
> That should be "--with-mysql-include-dir=..."  What you have above
> is completely unsupported.

The configure script in src/modules/rlm_sql/drivers/rlm_sql_mysql/
seems to know about --with-mysql-dir.

Another thing: Is there anything else to set than sqltrace and
sqltracefile to get MySQL logs? Because sqltrace is set to yes and I
still get no logs... :-(

Thanks again,
Walter