Building FreeRadius 2.0 on Mac OS X fails

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jan 22 11:23:06 CET 2008

Walter Krivanek, VividVisions wrote:
> Then, I added the parameters --with-mysql-lib-dir and
> --with-mysql-include-dir to the configure command.
> Configure seems to expect the MySQL binaries to be in the PATH
> environment variable, which complicated things for me since I have three
> different versions of MySQL on my development machine. Another parameter
> like --with-mysql-bin-dir would be great.

  Setting the PATH for one run of a "configure" script is just as easy.

> Then I configured FreeRadius, started it and got this error message:
> rlm_sql (freewave): Could not link driver rlm_sql_mysql:
> The reason was that FreeRadius expected the dylib file in
> /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql/ but it actually is located in
> /usr/local/mysql/lib/.

  No.  FreeRADIUS does *not* look for libraries.  The run-time linker on
your system looks for libraries.  FreeRADIUS just uses the features of
that linker.  What is happening is that the information available at
compile time is different from the information available at run time.

  The only response is to say that your system needs to be fixed so that
the linkers know where the libraries are, and that the list of libraries
available at compile time is the same as what is available at run time.

> Another thing: Is there anything else to set than sqltrace and
> sqltracefile to get MySQL logs? Because sqltrace is set to yes and I
> still get no logs... :-(

  Run it in debugging mode, and check file permissions.