Novice user. Authenticate against Radius Server

German Anguiano Bayardo german.anguiano at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 24 18:50:33 CET 2008

Hi guys.  I'm a beginner with the Radius protocol. I've been using Linux for a while now, so I hope it doesn't take me too long to catch the idea.

Sorry in advance if a make some stupid questions. Ok, here I go.

I'm in a new job. My boss told me that they attempted to setup a Hotspot for free public access. But they want the users to register with us (this is a government office) for usage statistics, accounting, etc.

They say the only missing part is a Radius Server where to authenticate the users. The steps are as follows:
1.- The user uses his laptop to access Internet, open the web browser and get a Welcome Page, where they have to login
2-. When they give user an password, the access point verifies it against a Radius Server, just for access statistics purposes.
3.- If it's a valid user, he/she can have access to Internet.

Some sort of that is the idea.

Nothing sophisticated, only that users must be registered.

Can anyone point me to the right path ??

Thanks in advance...

German Anguiano B.