FR on CentOS 5 via yum?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 20:27:18 CEST 2008

AlexDreadd wrote:
> I've tried doing a yum install of freeRadius on a centos 5 machine, but the
> latest version I could get was 1.1.3, which is no longer supported, and
> doesn't work properly for my needs.
>
> FR 1.1.3 with mysql 5 gives me these errors:
> Error: rlm_sql (sql): stop packet with zero session length.
> Info: rlm_sql (sql): There are no DB handles to use! skipped 0, tried to
> connect 0
>
> So I was hoping that updating might fix this problem, only to find that I
> can't seem to find an update for my machine.
> If not via yum, at least is there a repo or RPM for getting it on the
> CentOS?
> -Alex

The reason you can't find a more recent version for centos 5 is because
that is an enterprise distribution which in the interest of stability
does not introduce new versions of packages.

However, you should be able to build a current Fedora RPM on a centos
(e.g. RHEL) OS. You can find the fedora source rpm's on Koji
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji

The most recent Fedora 9 version is here:

Download the source rpm (filename ends with .src.rpm)

Install the src rpm

% rpm -ihv freeradius-XXX.src.rpm

Then build the src rpm with rpmbuild

% rpmbuild -ba XXX/freeradius.spec

Then install the resulting binary rpm's

NOTE: The Fedora src rpms's were never meant to build on RHEL (centos),
you may encounter build problems as a consequence. YMMV, you're on your
own :-)

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>