FreeRadius client with IAS server; Wireshark - Code: Access Reject (3)

Knarkargott knarkargott at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 3 14:08:01 CEST 2008

Hi!
I use FreeRadius as a client to a IAS server. I get connection but as soon
as I set the IAS to authenticate on the server, I only get "User-Name =
"DsH"" several times until timeout: "No response from client ID...").

When I sniff with Wireshark, I get the error code: Access Reject (3).

My test should be quite basic I think, but somehow I fail. My setup is as
follows:
Computer A: Active Directory
Computer B: Windows IAS server (IP 192.168.0.155)
Computer C: FreeRadius Client (this is actually a virtual machine)

Computer A contains user DsH with pwd RADIUS.
I have configured the IAS (2003) to allow everything on Computer B and
secret = RADIUS.
I logged in as DSH with pwd RADIUS on Computer C, with secret = RADIUS for
the FreeRadius client (v.1.1.6).

I have tried both radtest and radclient, with -x for debug;
------------
radtest DsH 123456 192.168.0.155 10 RADIUS -x
  => Radclient:: Invalid octet string "123456" for attribute name
"User-Password"
echo "User-Name = DsH" | .../radclient 192.168.0.155:1812 auth RADIUS
  => User-Name = "DsH" (several times until timeout: "No response from
client ID...")

Anybody have any idea? I have tried for a while reading the manuals and
browsing the forum, but I just don't get it to work!

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance :)

/Knarkargott