stripping domain from username (for wifi authentication on Windows XP)

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue May 13 17:10:23 CEST 2008

Hi,
> Hello everyone,
>

> I am using freeradius to have my wifi network use my LDAP credentials for
> authentication.  However, Windows has this glorious default setting that
> automatically passes the domain username and password to the radius server
> to authenticate for wifi access.  While I can easily uncheck a box to make
> that behavior not happen, it would be great if I could just have radius
> accept those credentials.  The windows domain and radius both use the same
> LDAP directory.  The only issue is Windows sends the username as
> DOMAIN\\username.  Is it possible to have freeradius ignore the DOMAIN\\
> part of the username?

yes, check the configuration files for the prefix part.
are you using 1.1.x or 2.0.x? if 1.1.x you can
also you the rewrite module to copy User-Name to Stripped-User-Name
and then blow away the DOMAIN\\ part - or any preceeding STUFF\\
if you use 2.0.x then use unlang to do the same job efficiently
when and where you need it.

alan