Unknown module eap

Ted Lum freeradius.org at tedworld.com
Sun Nov 16 17:50:43 CET 2008

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
>> freeradius newbie here...not sure where I went wrong and someone
>> probably can figure this out in a second.
>>

>   You edited the default configuration files and broke it.
>

>> CentOS 5 (freeradius-1.1.3-1.2.el5) still using default certificates so
>> as not to complicate things too much yet.
>>

>   I really suggest upgrading to 2.1.1.

You're already running the latest CentOS package which is quite old, yum
update won't get you anywhere. The only way to upgrade is to rpmbuild
from source, never sinply build from source on a CentOS system if you
have a choice. See
http://wiki.freeradius.org/Build#Building_RedHat_packages. There isn't
much documentation on it and that how-to assumes that you already have
everything you need... you must have gcc, rpm-build, and all of the
-devel packages installed otherwise it won't build some modules. Watch
the ./configure output as it builds to see if you're getting warnings
about missing libraries... it may not be missing the library but the
-devel for the library. You can ignore things you don't need like
Oracle, etc. On CentOS system "cp -a /usr/src/redhat/ rpmbuild" probably
will not work, use "mkdir -p
~/rpmbuild/{BUILD,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS}" in stead.

Also watch out for SELinux, it breaks things.

>> rlm_eap: No such sub-type for default EAP type peap
>> radiusd.conf[10]: eap: Module instantiation failed.
>> radiusd.conf[1940] Unknown module "eap".
>> radiusd.conf[1887] Failed to parse authenticate section.
>>
>> Can someone toss me a bone here?
>>

>   You deleted the "peap" section from eap.conf.  Or, you configured
> "default_eap_type = peap", but without un-commenting the peap section in
> eap.conf.
>
>   Alan DeKok.
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html