FreeRADIUS + OpenLDAP + MSCHAPv2

Tim Gustafson tjg at soe.ucsc.edu
Tue Nov 18 22:29:48 CET 2008

Ok, I've upgraded to FreeRADIUS 2.0.5 on a FreeBSD box (the FreeBSD ports is more up-to-date than the CentOS Yum repositories apparently).

However, upon reading the documentation in modules/ldap, I see this:

#  However, LDAP can be used for authentication ONLY when the
#  Access-Request packet contains a clear-text User-Password
#  attribute.  LDAP authentication will NOT work for any other
#  authentication method.
#
#  This means that LDAP servers don't understand EAP.  If you
#  force "Auth-Type = LDAP", and then send the server a
#  request containing EAP authentication, then authentication
#  WILL NOT WORK.

So, does this mean that you can't do MSCHAPv2 against an LDAP server, or am I missing something again?

Tim Gustafson
SOE Webmaster
UC Santa Cruz
tjg at soe.ucsc.edu