New entry for Interim packet

Tony Spencer tony at tonyspencer.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 18:11:14 CET 2008

Hello

Our setup is as follows:

Centos 5.2

FreeRADIUS Version 2.0.2

MySQL Version: 4.1.20

We are using FreeRadius for our ADSL users and its working fine.

Except when it comes to working out the usage stats for each user at the end
of each month.

Its easy to do with all sessions that started in the previous month and have
a Stop status.

But it's difficult when a session rolled over to the next month because the
status is Alive.

We're trying to find a why to make FreeRadius:

Enter a new entry into the Radacct table for a session for an Interim update

Mark the previous session with a stop Status and update the OctetsIn and
OctetsOut for that session with the current value.

Set the new session OctetsIn and OctetsOut at zero until the next update and
then it starts from the beginning again.

However we can't find a way of making FreeRadius:

Run 2 sql statements in the same update.

Set the new session counter to zero and not roll over the next updates
Octets.

We have found the following site:
http://www.netexpertise.eu/en/freeradius/daily-accounting.html with a way of
doing this within MySQL with procedures, but apparently this only works with
MySQL 5.

Having installed MySQL 5 on a test server and importing  our Radius database
we tried running the first procedure but get an error:

ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual
that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
near 'DECLARE COUNTER_LIMIT BIGINT(12)' at line 1

mysql>   SET COUNTER_LIMIT = POW(2,32);

ERROR 1193 (HY000): Unknown system variable 'COUNTER_LIMIT

Has anyone any ideas on how to do what we require or has anyone had any luck
with the instructions on the URL?

Thanks in advance.

Tony