Freeradius error: "Discarding conflicting packet"

Jelle Langbroek jml at orkz.net
Sun Oct 5 01:17:09 CEST 2008

> I use the EAP/TTLS and EAP/PAP scheme.
> I have the same error as you but is somewhat at ramdom. In my case,
> APs Linksys WRT54GL has OpenWRT WhiteRussian installed. Could be some
> bad in clients? I've seen things too weirds in Mac OS X clients...
>
> I'd like to know if your problems have been fixed with Asus WL-G330ge.
> Also, I think that overlapping channels can be causing the error, so
> I'll change that...

Hi,
I can tell you that with my tests, I figured out that it's happening with
all sorts of clients (MacOSX, XP, Vista). It appears only to be happing with
the WAP54G (and now the WRT54GL you say). When I replaced the WAP54G with a
WAP200, the errors disappeared with the same clients. I tested this on many
locations with many different clients and everywhere the same results. It
must be the WAP54G then.
I'm still using those AP's and I keep getting the error in the logs. It's
indeed quite random. The error seems not harmful (although the sourcecode of
freeRadius says the AP is broken). I haven't been able to link complaints of
customers to this specific error, so I guess I should just stop paying
attention.

I ruled out the possibility that overlapping channels are causing the
problem. I tested it with overlapping channels and without. Nothing changes
regarding the error.

I mailed Linksys about the problem, and they sent me a newer beta-firmware
which isn't on their website. It's for the WAP54G ofcourse. If you want it,
I put it on our website here:
http://www.orxnet.org/files/<http://www.orxnet.org/>
WAP54G-Cisco-EU-EN-3.08.02.zip
It works, but doesn't give me the results I hoped for.

So, I don't have the solution, but I guess it's not really that bad. If you
ever solve the problem I'd like to hear it! :)
Good luck!

Gr, Jelle