Newbie question

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Oct 7 19:05:42 CEST 2008

Jair Santos wrote:
> Please understand that when we, as users, go to  a site to download  a
> program,  the site structure and distribution of information is completely
> new. We , (I)  try to understand it but we have no time to read everything.
> I believe that this is normal and yes , we make mistakes. Don't you ?

  The difficulty is that there are 3-4 places where the correct thing is
documented.  You managed to miss them *all*.  You read one thing on a
page, and missed other things written on the same page.

  This is actually pretty common.  I don't understand why it happens,
though.

> So please, don't try to give us (me) lessons about how to look for
> information. I am an old guy and I stiil need much more time to learn  new
> things . I don't need one more person to criticise my mistakes or laziness
> to read a 200 pages web site in order to understand the whole picture.

  Uh... no.  You read the page with the CVS instructions.  One page.
You missed the text right above the CVS instructions saying "see
git.freeradius.org".

  It's about *us* putting huge amounts of effort into creating the
server, documenting it, and answering questions on this list.  And
yet... it's never enough.  No matter how much documentation is written,
some people still ignore it... and get upset when told they're ignoring it.

> Yes I did click on the link 2.1.1 on the main web page. That was the first
> thing I did. These files didn't compile. It was  NOT because   the linker on
> my system chooses the wrong libs as you can see from the log. There is
> another reason and I don't know it.
>
> configure:21137: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT

  I'll call bait & switch on this one.  The ORIGINAL problem you posted
was from the output of "make", not "configure":

/usr/lib/libreadline.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format

  i.e. it's a 32/64-bit problem.

  The output you posted from "configure" is different, and meaningless.
 Pretending it's the same problem is disingenuous.  The "errors" are
part of the tests configure does to figure out which libraries are
needed.  Part of the tests involves *failed* compilations... so that it
knows that a particular combination of libraries didn't work.  And it
then tries other libraries.

> I am still trying to make this work and I thank very much all of you who are
> helping me out.

  Another message in the same thread was from someone at Redhat.  Who
posted a link to pre-built RPM's for fedora.  Which includes 64-bit
versions.

  If you had checked the link, you would have discovered this.  Instead,
you asked on the email list if the link included a 64-bit version.

  And if you read the list, you know that I help a *lot* of people here.
 I'm also trying to help you.  Convincing you to read the documentation
I've already written is one of the ways I can help you.  If this is too
painful, feel free to ignore all of my messages to the list.