Install error

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Wed Oct 8 21:34:51 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 15:25 -0400, Madwifi Wireless wrote:
> Won't it be easier for you to just download the source, compile and install?
> You will be chasing lot's of rpm dependencies if you don't have all your
> packages install under RHEL.

Compiling from source will end up chasing an equivalent list of
dependencies, as we've already seen. There is no way to avoid installing
an SQL package if you compile freeradius with SQL support, for example.

I personally find installing from packages to be a lot easier, but you
can't always do that. For instance, I am using a freeradius compiled
from source, and it was a pain to chase down all the -devel packages I
needed because all I get from the configure/compile is that some include
file wasn't found or some library file is missing. It's not always
obvious which -devel package I need. Whereas installing freeradius from
yum would automatically bring in all the dependencies. The reason I
compiled from source is that the RPM packages do not include the latest
version, and I needed the support for clients with dynamic addresses
which is only available in freeradius 2.1.1 and beyond.

--Greg