Install error

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Oct 8 21:43:19 CEST 2008

Greg Woods wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 15:25 -0400, Madwifi Wireless wrote:
>
>> Won't it be easier for you to just download the source, compile and install?
>> You will be chasing lot's of rpm dependencies if you don't have all your
>> packages install under RHEL.
>>

> Compiling from source will end up chasing an equivalent list of
> dependencies, as we've already seen. There is no way to avoid installing
> an SQL package if you compile freeradius with SQL support, for example.
>
> I personally find installing from packages to be a lot easier, but you
> can't always do that. For instance, I am using a freeradius compiled
> from source, and it was a pain to chase down all the -devel packages I
> needed because all I get from the configure/compile is that some include
> file wasn't found or some library file is missing. It's not always
> obvious which -devel package I need.
That is why using a srpm with a spec file specific to your distribution
is your friend because it explicitly lists the *exact* set of
dependencies needed to build from the srpm. You can either let rpm-build
tell you what is missing or you can open the spec file in an editor and
search for "BuildRequires" which is where the rpm's needed to build are
listed.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>