dynamic dns in radius?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Oct 16 07:57:21 CEST 2008

Karl Auer wrote:
> We have a very broken NAS - it basically only half-understands realms.
> If I log in with "john at ream", it will send "john at realm" off to the
> RADIUS server, which authenticates just fine, but the NAS will then try
> to register "johnrealm" via dynamic DNS.

  That's crazy.  Not "fun' crazy like "Crazy, dude!", but seriously
crazy, like "We find the defendant not guilty by reason of insanity".

  DHCP does DDNS.  RADIUS doesn't.

> So this is not a RADIUS issue, it's an issue with how this NAS handles
> dynamic DNS updates.

  Why the heck would the NAS be doing DDNS updates?  In what alternate
reality is this useful?

> There is no way to make the NAS behave differently, though enhancement
> requests and bug reports have been lodged in hopes of better behaviour
> in a future release of the NAS OS.

  Or, throw it in the garbage and buy a real NAS.  If that's too
expensive, return it to the manufacturer as "broken and doesn't work".

> So I was wondering whether there is
> any practical way to get the RADIUS server to do the dynamic DNS
> instead.

  I'm not sure what you mean by that... having the RADIUS server *also*
do DDNS wouldn't seem to help.  Why not just run a DNS server that
accepts DDNS updates?  .... and then throw away all of the updates from
that NAS.