Simultaneous login Issue on Freeradius

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Sep 5 14:30:19 CEST 2008

Praveen Kumar wrote:
> But i have seen in the freeRadius features that the simultaneous login
> can be restricted.

  Yes, I'm aware of that.  I wrote that page.  But that's referring to
ISP's, who have users logging into a NAS.  It is NOT referring to
"single sign on", or to restricting shell access to Linux machines.

> If I Do like this in the /etc/raddb/users file
> Will this restrict the simultaneous login..

  As I told you already: No.

> I feel the password it provide as r1.\341\362... like this, may be in
> some encrypted form which not authenticated by the server, while with
> radtest the password root given as clear text.

  If you had bothered to run FreeRADIUS in debug mode as suggested in
the FAQ, README, INSTALL, and pretty much daily on this list, you would
have seen what the problem is.  The server would have printed out
messages telling you what the problem is, and how to fix it.

> Could you please tell some thing solve this, so that i can use the
> pam_radius module to authenticate the username/password , when i log in
> the machine.

  Follow the documentation, and run the server in debugging mode.

  And even if you get pam_radius working, you will NOT be able to use
Simultaneous-Use for Linux shell users.