Freeradius Usage

Jesse Stone jstone1999 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 01:49:49 CEST 2008

Thank you for the quick response.  I may not have mentioned this previously
but I am by no means a linux/networking expert.  The company I work for is
pro-MS.  Recently, I got the urge to get back into Linux and here I am.

My thinking (in regards to network structure) was that I wanted applications
intended to the public as far away from my local lan as posible.  The local
lan requires the app server though-  OpenVPN, Samba (as a PDC), misc other
things so I wanted it available to the local lan but not to the DMZ.

My main questions though are with Freeradius.  My setup is for "hobby"
purposes only and already I would have difficulty telling you exactly which
users have access to what.

I want to using a technology like Freeradius or LDAP create 1 central place
on the app server that EVERYTHING would authenication to.  In a perfect
world, the end result would be that I could type something like this:

select %user% from permissionsDB

and be returned something like this:

SSH: NO, OpenVPN: YES, Samba: %Specific group% (which indicates shares
available), Shell Access: No, ect

Basically, I want a setup where I can easilly scale upwards without having
to "teach" each new application how to use a DB.  Freeradious also can
authenicate my wireless users when would also be great as for all I know,
half my bandwidth is being used by my neighbors.

-Jesse