VS: Chap auhtentication against LDAP

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Apr 5 15:16:55 CEST 2009

Ville Leinonen wrote:
> So i cannot do this about using freeradius, but i can make it
> using IAS (see link)?

  No.  You seemed to have misunderstood my response.  Let me say it a
different way:

  LDAP servers cannot do CHAP authentication.

  Why?

  Because LDAP servers are *DATABASES*.

  LDAP servers are not *authentication* servers.

  FreeRADIUS is an *AUTHENTICATION* server.

  Configure FreeRADIUS so that it pulls the clear-text password from
LDAP.  FreeRADIUS will then do CHAP authentication.

  If you don't have a clear-text password in LDAP, then doing CHAP
authentication is impossible.  It is impossible with FreeRADIUS, IAS,
Cisco ACS, Juniper SBR, Radiator, and also with every other RADIUS
server on the planet.

  And go read my web page:

http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html