Detail file polling issues

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Apr 13 18:04:36 CEST 2009

JDL wrote:
> I just tried the 2.1.5 pre-release and the issue with the detail file
> listener going crazy seems to have been corrected. Thank you.

  That's good.

> However, the issue of the spooled detail files being deleted remains.
> Doing my best to analyze the debug file and some copies of the listener
> detail files before they are deleted, it appears that FR starts to read
> the detail file (i.e. detail.work) and then starts a loop where it keeps
> adding the data that is read back into the main listener file (i.e.
> detail-20090413).

  The detail module does NOT write to the detail file if the request was
read from a detail file.  However, it checks this only for accounting.

  On top of that, your configuration clearly logs to the detail file
*twice*.  Once when the packet is read from the network, and then again
when it's read from the detail file.

  The solution is simple:

1) Don't write to the detail file twice.  See
raddb/sites-available/robust-proxy-accounting.  Note that the listen
section that reads from the detail file is in a virtual server.  AND the
"accounting" section for that virtual server does NOT log to the detail
file.

2) Ensure that only the "accounting" section is logging to the detail
file, and not any others.

> It appears to do this a number of times and then stops
> and deletes all of the files in the listener directory.

  Because it has processed all of the packets in all of the files.  The
fact that it's logged them *again* to a detail file is little more than
a misconfiguration on your local system.