Bandwidth & Hardware Requirement Question

Deepak d88pak at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 16:06:38 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Igor Smitran<sigor at blic.net> wrote:
> Bandwidth is needed on your router. Between your router and your radius
> server you will only have authentication and accounting packets which
> are small and do not consume much of a bandwidth.
> Radius server will not do any rate limiting, radius server will only
> send rate limit data to router, during authentication, if you tell him to.
> You can use desktop computer (P4 for example) for radius server. You can
> have sql server on separate lan/computer. or not, it's up to you.
> You can authenticate thousands of users on one pentium 4, with basic setup.

Thanks for info I needed. I got the hardware part. Regarding the
bandwidth in router, how much bandwidth is needed (rough estimate)
given that thousands of users are online and radius is continuously
getting accounting packets from various APs?

Supposing if I have 2.0 Mbps line dedicated just for this, how many
user's accounting packets I can handle normally? Rough estimate will
do. I just want to have general idea before committing.

Thanks again