error discarding packet

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Dec 24 09:16:12 CET 2009

Gary Gatten wrote:
> I missed the start of this thread, but seems some frustration is
> building.

Q: How do I fix this problem?

A: Here's how

Q: How do I fix this problem?

A: Here's how

Q: But it's still not fixed, how do I fix it?

A: <sigh>

  I understand the frustration of "but it doesn't work".  The *source*
of the frustration is usually:

   a) focusing on the problem, and not on how to solve it

   b) ignoring answers that try to help
      (If you think you're *not* ignoring the answers, believe us
       when we say that you are)

   c) not knowing how to give *additional* information that may
      allow others to narrow down the problem

   d) not knowing how to narrow down the problem yourself.

  By and large, the main difference between "experts" and "noobies" is
*not* the memorization of large bodies of trivia.  Yes, experience helps

  What helps *more* is a methodical approach to solving problems.  A
step-by-step approach beats a random approach every time.  It also beats
the approach of trying the same thing over and over again.