Error binding port to ipv6 address

D'AVELLA STEFANO Stefano.DAvella at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Feb 9 17:17:20 CET 2009

Hello,

I am new to Freeradius. I am running Freeradius 2.1.0 on Ubuntu 8.10,
built from source.
I have already read all the documentation I could find in the config
files and in the wiki.

The machine has two network interfaces, eth0 and eth1, the first
configured with ipv4 and the second with ipv6.
I am interested on using freeradius with ipv6 support so I would like to
test it using it only on eth1 interface.

The point of my testbed will be to define a new attribute and transfer
it to the client when it is authorized.
But before  doing it I am finding some problems in opening the ip6
socket in the server.
In fact I configured users and clients.conf to allow my ip6 client to
connect to the server, and then in the radiusd.conf file I commented the
ip4 listening option and uncommented the ip6 one. (I also commented the
accounting listening part because I am not interested in it).

The problem is that when I run the server it exits saying (last lines):

 Module: Checking session {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Checking post-proxy {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Checking post-auth {...} for more modules to load
 }
radiusd: #### Opening IP addresses and Ports ####
listen {
        type = "auth"
        ipv6addr = :: IPv6 address [::]
        port = 0
/etc/freeradius/radiusd.conf[236]: Error binding to port for :: port
1812

I checked if the ip6 interface is properly configured, and it seems so
(i can ping other ip6 nodes, and also writing another little c program
to bind an ip6 socket works fine)
Changing port doesn't solve the issue.
Commenting or uncommenting the "interface" line in radiusd.conf doesn't
change anything.
Trying different types of ip6 addresses (::1, or manually assigned ones)
doesn't work either.

Obviously with ip4 I don't have any kind of problem.

I can't understand if it a freeradius configuration problem or a system
configuration one.

Thank you for you help!

Regards,

--