Error binding port to ipv6 address

Nicolas Goutte nicolas.goutte at extragroup.de
Mon Feb 9 17:35:08 CET 2009

Am 09.02.2009 um 17:17 schrieb D'AVELLA STEFANO:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to Freeradius. I am running Freeradius 2.1.0 on Ubuntu
> 8.10, built from source.
> I have already read all the documentation I could find in the
> config files and in the wiki.
>
> The machine has two network interfaces, eth0 and eth1, the first
> configured with ipv4 and the second with ipv6.
> I am interested on using freeradius with ipv6 support so I would
> like to test it using it only on eth1 interface.
>
> The point of my testbed will be to define a new attribute and
> transfer it to the client when it is authorized.
> But before  doing it I am finding some problems in opening the ip6
> socket in the server.
> In fact I configured users and clients.conf to allow my ip6 client
> to connect to the server, and then in the radiusd.conf file I
> commented the ip4 listening option and uncommented the ip6 one. (I
> also commented the accounting listening part because I am not
> interested in it).
>
> The problem is that when I run the server it exits saying (last
> lines):
>
>  Module: Checking session {...} for more modules to load
>  Module: Checking post-proxy {...} for more modules to load
>  Module: Checking post-auth {...} for more modules to load
>  }
> radiusd: #### Opening IP addresses and Ports ####
> listen {
>         type = "auth"
>         ipv6addr = :: IPv6 address [::]
>         port = 0
>

> /etc/freeradius/radiusd.conf[236]: Error binding to port for ::
> port 1812

Be sure that no other freeradius is running and also that you have
enough rights to open such a port.

Look in your inet.d or similar to avoid that another service is run
instead of the planned freeradius.

> I checked if the ip6 interface is properly configured, and it seems
> so (i can ping other ip6 nodes, and also writing another little c
> program to bind an ip6 socket works fine)
>
> Changing port doesn't solve the issue.
> Commenting or uncommenting the "interface" line in radiusd.conf
> doesn't change anything.
> Trying different types of ip6 addresses (::1, or manually assigned
> ones) doesn't work either.
>
> Obviously with ip4 I don't have any kind of problem.
>
> I can't understand if it a freeradius configuration problem or a
> system configuration one.
>
> Thank you for you help!
>
> Regards,

Have a nice day!

> --
> Stefano D'Avella

> users.html

Nicolas Goutte

extragroup GmbH - Karlsruhe
Waldstr. 49
76133 Karlsruhe
Germany

Geschäftsführer: Stephan Mönninghoff, Hans Martin Kern, Tilman Haerdle
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Münster / HRB: 5624
Steuer Nr.: 337/5903/0421 / UstID: DE 204607841