Freeradius process dies with some (bad?!) EAP requests

Nelson Vale nelsonduvall at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 17:46:29 CET 2009

Hi all,

We have several machines running freeradius 2.0.2 as authentication server,
and we're facing a strange and very critical problem.
Occasionally radius server just dies with no apparent reason. When I look at
the logs, the last lines I see before it happens are like:

"...
Error: rlm_eap: No EAPsession matching the State variable.
Error: rlm_eap: Either EAP-request timed out OR EAP-response to an unknown
EAP-request
..."

**
I've googled for problems like this and I found some simillar occurrences,
but no solutions provided...

Is this a known problem that is fixed in a recent version?

This is a big issue for us because this causes several thousands of users to
complain about it, so we would appreciate your help...

Thx,

Nelson Vale