Radius syntax

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jan 14 12:32:44 CET 2009

Andrea Scarso wrote:
> Thanks, but this is not a NAS.

  Then it's not doing RADIUS, and telling it to send packets to a RADIUS
server is wrong.

> This is a monitor application for various servers (http, ping, smtp,
> pop3, ...).
> http://www.mikrotik.com/img/thedude.jpg
>
> The problem is that for the radius test, there's not a prebuild test as
> for other protocols,

  As I said, I have no idea what that means.

  You are coming into a RADIUS mailing list, and using terminology that
is specific to a particular product from a particular vendor.  I've
never used that product from that vendor.  Using that terminology here
is confusing an unnecessary.

> but I need to specify the string to send to
> freeradius, to simulate the RADIUS protocol.

  If you think you can create a static string to simulate RADIUS... it
doesn't work that way.

> Do you know if there's some
> docs about the RADIUS protocol or radius packet syntax?

  The web site is full of documentation.  It contains copies of the
RADIUS specifications, which explain the protocol in detail.

> Otherwise, do you know other software to monitor some radius servers?
> In other words i need a software to simulate a NAS, and if the radius
> doesn't respond can send a warning mail to me.

  Perhaps you read the documentation that comes with the server, and the
FAQ.  It contains examples of using test programs.