Building FreeRADIUS2 on Solaris10

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jul 7 10:53:53 CEST 2009

Steven Carr wrote:
> Are there any instructions for building FreeRADIUS2 on Solaris10?

  There's an INSTALL file that is included with the software.  It
contains installation instructions.  They work on Linux, *BSD, Solaris,
and probably AIX.

> (or
> any prebuilt packages anywhere?)

  Sunfreeware doesn't have any.

> I must comment the state of FreeRADIUS documentation is atrocious, it
> has taken me days to get our RADIUS implementation up and running due to
> the amount of outdated or lack of documentation (instead of what could
> have been hours).

  Perhaps you could try explaining *what* is so atrocious.  That might
give us an opportunity to fix it.  Instead, you've just said "you guys
suck", which isn't helpful.

  And what's so hard about installing it?

$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install
$ radiusd -X

  That's it.  After that, if you have OpenSSL installed, the following
authentication protocols will work:

	PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAPv2, EAP-MD5, EAP-PEAP, EAP-TTLS (PAP, CHAP,
MS-CHAP)

  If it takes you days to figure something out, perhaps it would be
faster to ask questions on this list.

  Ask *DETAILED* questions.  Like "I'm trying to do X, and I expect Y to
happen, but instead Z happens".

> The wiki mayaswell not exist as 90% of it is relating
> to v1 of FreeRADIUS which is no longer maintained, and the configuration
> of v2 is completely different.

  Um... no.  The *organization* has changed, but the configuration is
95% identical.