Building FreeRADIUS2 on Solaris10

Steven Carr steven.carr at sunderland.ac.uk
Tue Jul 7 12:04:05 CEST 2009

On 7/7/09 09:53, Alan DeKok wrote:
>   Perhaps you could try explaining *what* is so atrocious.  That might
> give us an opportunity to fix it.  Instead, you've just said "you guys
> suck", which isn't helpful.

Yes I will admit I am a "newbie" to FreeRADIUS, it is a steep learning
curve, RADIUS itself is abit of a dark art, but your documentation does
not make this any easier to understand.

The documentation doesn't have any real consistency to it, some parts
are indepth while others are sparse or just show the default
configuration file. The config files may have comments in them that
describe what each configuration item does, but there is no overview
configuration, a workflow on how all of the configuration files fit
together would be good.

Under the HOWTO section [http://wiki.freeradius.org/HOWTO] most of the
ones on the wiki itself refer to v1 and the offsite ones either no
longer exist or are for v1.

>   And what's so hard about installing it?
>
> $ ./configure
> $ make
> $ make install
> $ radiusd -X

The Build instructions [http://wiki.freeradius.org/Build] for Solaris10
are still for v1 and indicate that extra packages/modifications are
needed, but there is no indication if these requirements are still
current for v2. This is my reason for asking if there are any
instructions, I'd rather know up front if I'm going to run into any
potential issues compiling the software.

>   Um... no.  The *organization* has changed, but the configuration is
> 95% identical.

There are lots of small changes which have been made in the FreeRADIUS
code with regards to variables which have not been updated in the
documentation, an important one being with the LDAP configuration
%{Ldap-UserDn} is no longer valid and %{control:Ldap-UserDn} should be
used instead. [http://wiki.freeradius.org/Rlm_ldap] still refers to the
old variable, although the latest source code does have this corrected
in the radiusd.conf file, the version which I am testing with on Debian
(2.0.4) did not and so it broke, looking at the wiki showed the same
information as was already present in my config file, it was only by
searching deeper that I found this configuration to be incorrect.

Steve

--
Steven Carr
Systems Development Officer