want to authorise but not authenticate

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Jul 8 13:57:09 CEST 2009

On 8/7/09 12:39, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> authorize {
>> 	if((User-Name == User-Password)&&  %{ldap:etc...}){
>> 		update control {
>> 			Auth-Type := 'NULL'
>> 		}
>> 	}
>> 	else {
>> 		// Authentication modules
>> 	}
>> }
>>

>> Auth-Type NULL {
>> 	ok
>> }
>
> this is pretty uch what is already on the system - the trouble then is that
> people can then just login by using any account so long as the password
> is the same value
>
> eg
>
> hacker
> hacker
>
> they dont even need a valid account to actually authenticate.

Well the LDAP string expansion should make sure the account is actually valid... But you could use the LDAP module and check the return codes to do the same thing.

> what we need is for the X=Y to work for authorise and then
> not give a damn about authentication - but, as said, looks like
> we cannot distinguish between auth and auth (if you get what
> I mean ;-) ) - if only we could send Service-Type from the device...

Listen on multiple interfaces and use the packet destination IP attribute with Unlang to determine policy? Then point the different services at the different IP addresses ?

Arran
--
Arran Cudbard-Bell <A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk>,
Systems Administrator (AAA),