[rad] Re: etc_passwd

Charles Gregory cgregory at hwcn.org
Tue Jul 28 19:20:24 CEST 2009

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Kaz Zurad wrote:
> Thank you. I meant RHEL 4. I will try to install and implement it.

I am using CentOS 4 which is the 'free' version of RHEL 4,

You should be able to install the freeradius rpm package via yum (or
perhaps already installed with initial install). You don't need to
install a more recent version unless you are doing something complicated
that needs newer features. Though please undertand that most people on
this list know solutions for the newer versions and if you want serious
help with things like 'EAP' and 'LDAP' you may need to upgrade.

But to just do 'simple' authentication from etc_passwd.....

/etc/raddb/radiusd.conf needs to be reviewed for things like
server IP address and port, etc, but should pretty much work 'out of the box'.

/etc/raddb/clients.conf needs an entry listing your NAS (eg. Cisco AS5300)
with the 'secret' (password) it will use to talk to radius,

To use etc_passwd for authentication, in the /etc/raddb/users file,
uncomment and edit the entries (well commented!) that show how to
configure a 'default' user with 'Auth-Type = System'.

Yes, that easy!

- Charles