Version... version...

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Sat Jun 6 16:54:41 CEST 2009

Charles Gregory wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Tim Sylvester wrote:
>> You should use the latest version of FreeRADIUS...
>
> Not picking on Tim or freeradius in particular, but when I post to
> various lists looking for advice on various pieces of software, I often
> run into the advice to upgrade to the latest version, instead of
> sticking with the default version that comes with CentOS. It makes
> sense. Sometimes the desired feature or solution to a bug is in the
> newer version.
>
> BUT I have a question then: As per the FAQ's, if there is a critical bug
> in my CentOS version of software, it will still be patched ('back
> ported'), and it will get automatically updated by running the 'yum
> update' function. So, if I manually upgrade to the latest (just for
> example) freeradius, then will yum continue to update this new software
> with patches and bug fixes? My first feeling is that the answer is 'no'
> - once I install the new version I will thereafter be responsible for
> manually keeping 'watch' for bug fixes and updates.
>
> So unless I'm wrong, and yum can/will track updates on a new version of
> software, then it makes more sense to stay with the 'supported' version,
> even if it is a bit (or very) old. Yes? No?

Much of this information is covered here:
http://wiki.freeradius.org/Red_Hat_FAQ

The primary reason to upgrade is the vastly superior features in the 2.x
versions, plus 2.x resolves some issues which were present in the 1.x
series. These things will *not* be backported into 1.1.3, it simply does
not make sense. At the moment CentOS 5 only has the 1.1.3 version,
however we plan on releasing a freeradius2 with the current 2.x version
in the next RHEL5 update. The CentOS folks likely will pick this up.
Until the freeradius2 package is in the release stream you are correct,
yum upgrade will not pick up new package versions for the 2.x version,
however, when it is in the release stream (probably about a year away)
then yum will update it automatically. In the interim the above FAQ
explains how you can download and install a pre-built version of the
freeradius2 RPM for RHEL5 and CentOS5. I currently do not maintain a yum
repo for those packages which currently makes this a manual install
process, however I could probably set up a yum repo so any upgrades to
those packages became automatic once you install the specially prepared
yum repo config file. Setting up a yum repo for the RHEL and CentOS 2.x
RPMS is not my highest priority task, but I can see how it would be an
advantage for folks so I'll try and get it done in the next week (but no
promises). In the meantime you can just download the RPM's the FAQ
points to.

HTH,

John

--