response_window and zombie_period problem

Ana Gallardo ana.gallardo.77 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 12:35:53 CEST 2009

Thank you to for you response. Certainly in the proxy.conf file we can read

>         #  If the home server doesn't respond to the request within
>
>         #  this time, this server will consider the request dead, and
>
>         #  respond to the NAS with an Access-Reject.
>
>         #
>
>         #  Useful range of values: 5 to 60
>
>         response_window = 20
>

>         #  If the home server does not respond to ANY packets for
>
>         #  a certain time, consider it dead.  This time period is
>
>         #  called the "zombie" period, because the server is neither
>
>         #  alive nor dead.
>
>         #
>
>         #  Useful range of values: 20 to 120
>
>         zombie_period = 40

My response_window = 50 > zombie_period=20. So, after 20 seconds, my
radiusxx Freeradius must consider it dead, and then, I think that Freeradius
can proxy the request until the response_window = 50 time gone. Maybe I'm
mitaked, so I would like to know how if I'm in an error.

> When a home server does not respond to an Access-Request, the proxy process
> has failed and the default behavior is to reject the users Access-Request.
> The proxy server marks the home server as a zombie and after another 40
> seconds has passed, the proxy server marks the home server as dead. Once a
> server is marked dead, the proxy server will not send requests to that
> server. Access-Requests that are sent to the proxy server after the home
> server is marked dead, will skip the dead home server and fail-over to the
> next home server.
>

> Since an Access-Reject is sent to the NAS, the NAS will deny the
> user/device access. This will happen to all users/devices that try to
> authenticate when the proxy server was marked alive but it is actually dead.
> You can lessen the impact of a dead server by using type=load-balance
> instead of fail-over for the home server pool.

Why is lessen the impact using load-balance?

> In 2.1.6 the server can be configured to not respond when it does not
> receive a response from a home server. This will cause the NAS to retry the
> request multiple times, which will eventually cause the proxy server to send
> the request to the alive home server. Let me know if you want to try this
> and I can send an example configuration.

Yes, I want to try.

> Tim

Thank you very much Tim.

 Ana Gallardo Gómez