Fair usage package implementation

Ming-Ching Tiew mctiew at yahoo.com
Sat May 9 13:31:37 CEST 2009

--- On Fri, 5/8/09, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:

> From: Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>
> Subject: Re: Fair usage package implementation
> Date: Friday, May 8, 2009, 11:52 AM
> Ming-Ching Tiew wrote:
> > I wonder if how such a "package" can be implemented,
> >

> >        1. Unlimited rate normally
> >        2. But when downloaded
> packets exceed certain defined
> >           figure,
> download rate is trottled.
>
>   Ensure that the NAS can dynamically change download
> rate.  If it
> can't, then no amount of work on the RADIUS server will
> help.
>
> > One way I could think of is to run a batch job which
> work out
> > per user octet usage and then set the attribute
> WISPr-Bandwidth-Max-Down
> > accordingly. But this will have to be per day basis,
> it might be too late ( after the subscriber have over abused
> it ).
> >
> > Is there way such a thing can be implemented inside
> radiusd so that
> > everything happens on the fly ?
>
>   You said it yourself... the server is receiving
> accounting packets.
> You can check *then* whether or not the user is over their
> quota.
>
>   In fact, that's *exactly* the use case for the CoA
> functionality in
> the server.  You can check for bandwidth usage, and if
> the user is over
> the limit, send a CoA or Disconnect packet to the NAS.
>
>   NASes from major vendors are now starting to
> implement support for CoA
> and Disconnect packets.

Sorry I have quite an idiot here. I have been reading everything
radius 2.1.4, but I don't see how this is integrated into
the radiusd server. Am I missing anything ? Is this to say
that upon receiving accounting packets, spinning off a check
and if the condition is met then send CoA reply via radclient
is the way to go now ?

Best regards.