Fair usage package implementation

Ming-Ching Tiew mctiew at yahoo.com
Sat May 9 15:08:26 CEST 2009

--- On Sat, 5/9/09, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:

> From: Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>
> Subject: Re: Fair usage package implementation
> Date: Saturday, May 9, 2009, 12:41 PM
> Ming-Ching Tiew wrote:
> > Sorry I have quite an idiot here. I have been reading
> everything
> > radius 2.1.4, but I don't see how this is integrated
> into
> > the radiusd server. Am I missing anything ?
>
>   Read doc/ChangeLog.  Look for "coa".
>
> > Is this to say
> > that upon receiving accounting packets, spinning off a
> check
> > and if the condition is met then send CoA reply via
> radclient
> > is the way to go now ?
>
>   No.  That's not what I said at all.
>
>   The server can send CoA requests... NOT
> replies.  And you don't need
> radclient to do it.
>
>   Go read doc/ChangeLog.  Look for "coa".
> The go read the file that it
> points you to.  All of this is explained in the files
> that are included
> with the server.

Thanks for being patient !

Is it site-available/originate-coa which is what
you are referring to ? I have read it many times.

Ok, for example, there is a update coa { ......} which
we put it in somewhere in preacct  ?

But I want CoA packet to be sent only upon reaction to
certain conditions. I don't want it to be chatty
and heavy on server processing. Furthermore the
list of attributes in the CoA list could be dynamic
too. Putting the list into the configuration files,
if I understand it correctly, will be static,
and also making things very chatty, ie every
accounting packets arrive at the server
will cause a FIXED CoA list to be sent to the NAS ?

I must be seriously wrong somewhere in my understanding !

Regards.