FreeRadius crashed on accounting load tests with 1000 concurrent clients

Michael da Silva Pereira michael at tradepage.co.za
Tue Nov 10 18:22:19 CET 2009

Hi Dinh,

I'm very interested to see your results, I have a freeradius + freebsd
setup running and hit around 800 queries/per sec. As of yet rock
solid :) (64Bit as well).

Following the thread you also sent the "Discarding duplicate request
from client tester1 port" error. I'm interested to see the packet form
you are sending to simulate load. A duplicate request means your test
app resent an already pending request, Are you aware that it does that?
Is the App smart enough to await the radius response packet before
sending the a new 'faked' request.

I would be very interested to see what radius -Xxxx says (last 2000
lines as an attachment would really help). If there is something funny
happening it would appear in there.

max_request_time is 10 seconds, have you switched on mysql slow query /
non-index lookups logging ? (in my.cnf '#log_slow_queries
= /var/log/mysql/mysql-slow.log' ).
If the log file has nothing in it during the testing great, then MySQL
is happy. If you have queries taking longer than '#long_query_time'
there might be a problem.

Regards,
Michael