"No NAS-PORT seen"

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Nov 23 15:25:32 CET 2009

Peter Carlstedt wrote:
> Well all of that works but from that point and forward it doesnt, I cant
> get my new user to authenticate towards the radius server and I get from
> attr_filter that the request matched entry DEFAULT at line 11, which
> sends a reject message if I have understood it correctly. Also I´ve
> commented out that the radius server should use the users file to do
> checks against when someone tries to authenticate, well that dont seem
> to work because when i try to authenticate towards the radius server
> with a user in the users file I succeed while i do not succeed when i
> try to authenticate by using the user that i created in the mysql database.
>
> Have I missed something?

  It shouldn't be that hard.  If you change the configuration, re-start
the server.

  And READ the debug output.  There's a lot of text in it, but it
describes which modules its using, and what it's doing.  The ONLY answer
to configuration problems is in the debug output.

> But something i also noticed is that when i authenticate as the user who
> is in the users file and have commented out that it should use the users
> file it gets a message from rlm_radutmp saying "No NAS-Port seen. Cannot
> do anything."

  That only comes from accounting traffic, not from authentication
traffic.  Please do NOT confuse the two.

> Ive installed and made my own build of Freeradius 2.1.7 after i
> installed mysql client and all those libraries and mysql server. also I
> installed OpenSSL 0.9.8l before installation of the Freeradius server.
>
> Since the log is so big from radiusd -X is there any possibility to save
> it into a file? And how do i do that?

$ script radius.log
$ radiusd -X ....
(run)